Saturday 2 March 2019

Junior birding

Dungeness - mild, sunny, sw 4 - Encouraging youngsters to enjoy a love of natural history is a difficult challenge, particularly in this digital age with all its distractions. I tried and failed dismally with our two girls, probably because they were sick and tired of living with a birding obsessive when growing up back in the 1980`s and 90`s.
  However, with our eight year old grandson I`ve adopted a different, more laid back approach to the natural world, chipping in only when it seems appropriate or he seems interested. For the past few summers when visiting Plovers he`s been keen to help identify moths from the garden trap, while pond dipping trips have also proved popular. We`ve taken him to the bird reserve since he was a baby, as well as Dungeness Bird Observatory where he very much enjoyed seeing birds in the hand, but always at my prompting.
  Anyhow, today was a bit of a milestone as when we picked him up this morning for a weekend stay at Plovers his dad said, " I`ve put his binoculars in, as he said he`d like to go birdwatching with you".


                                Close views are essential

  So, this afternoon, armed with notebook and bins, off we went for a two hour visit to the bird reserve, and what a treat it was. We rattled up 45 species which were all duly noted down with an old fashioned pencil and paper pad, and he even tallied up the numbers as we went along (I reckon sea watching could be his forte in future!). While Smew and Cattle Egret were new birds we also had cracking views of Marsh Harriers, ducks, Lapwings, Great Crested Grebe and Blue Tit.
  Over the years I`ve learned that the recipe for a successful outing with nippers are largely threefold. Firstly, the weather needs to be fine, secondly close views are essential (hides or feeders are good) and finally keep it short and sweet, so no longer than a couple of hours. And it goes without saying that any form of digital device is a no go.

                                Counting ducks and gulls

                                Thumbs up for Smew!


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant and wise words and observations Paul...like you my two girls not really interested in birdworld but more Spiceworld!! Hoping my new grandson will be more interested but I think I have five or six years to wait yet; he’s only one year old!! But allbeing well Dungeness will be an education stop with all the right tools 🤗📒🖊🔭

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a surprising journey with kids, I`d forgotten what sponges their young minds are for remembering names whether it be moths or birds, and as for their eye sight, my grandson was pointing out distant dots I hadn't got a hope of seeing! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you forgot the 4th thing... snacks!!!! Also I may not remember the names of all the birds but you gave me a love of nature. I'm never happier than when I'm on a walk and outside. And surprisingly I know more about birds than the average xx you didn't fail Dad xx

    ReplyDelete