Saturday 20 December 2014

Eagle and Snowy Owls - in Folkestone

Lade - 0900hrs - mild, sunny, w 3 - The lakes were again full of waterfowl and inevitably attracted the attention of Marsh Harriers, with at one stage three females quartering the far side of the water testing the ducks and Coots. Eventually the western section of south lake was vacated as the harriers were loathe to fly out over the middle in the brisk wind and no prey was taken whilst I was watching.
Folkestone - This afternoon I dropped the family off at the Quarterhouse venue, and then went for a wander along the harbour area where several Med Gulls were noted amongst the Herring and Black-headed Gulls. Afterwards I nipped to the bank in the town centre, which is well out of my natural habitat and only the second time in nine years that I`ve ventured this way. Anyhow, en-route I noticed a group of people gathered round the back of a people carrier and on closer inspection was amazed to see three Eagle Owls, a Snowy and Barn Owl tethered and perched on a cross-trees being photographed with kids and stupid adults looking on. The owls were in a sorry old state indeed with tatty, abraded feathers and a dull glazed look to their eyes, and should no way have been in such an environment. The human race never ceases to amaze me...

No comments:

Post a Comment