Sunday 22 March 2015

March malaise

Lade - cold, cloudy, ne 3 - It happens every year about now, the old March malaise. Encouraged by some early migrants: Sand Martins, Wheatears, Scandinavian Rock Pipit, Little Ringed Plover,  singing Chiffs and thousands of Brent Geese so far, there`s a tendency to get ahead of one`s self, after all said and done it is only the 22nd.
Anyhow, continuing on with our Sunday theme of sticking to shanks pony we flogged the local patch to death this morning, criss-crossing the desert looking for a Stone Curlew or Great Spotted Cuckoo, but having to make do with a Wheatear and 155 roosting Curlews, before scouring the lakes for a party of Garganey (there I go again, but its the expectancy of living here...) and slumming it with a Med Gull amongst a flock of 500 Black-heads. We couldn't even find a Firecrest around the willow swamp. And then, guess what? I had to put up with just a few Sanderlings, Knots, Redshanks and Turnstones on the beach instead of a Kentish Plover.
I don't know, some folk are never satisfied...

                                There`s a Med Gull in there somewhere...

                                Turnstone, Lade

2 comments:

  1. Having to make do with a Wheatear! - I know you've already had several migrants all ready but some of us on the North Kent coast will still be waiting a week or two before we see any, if not longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I`m terrible, I thought I might get a nibble over that post, trouble is we take far too much for granted down here and its only when I have visitors in that makes me realise how lucky we are.

    ReplyDelete