Friday 23 May 2014

Bee-eaters!

Lade  - 0900hrs - warm, dry, sunny, S 4 - Another poor night in the garden moth trap due to a brisk overnight wind keeping temperatures down. On the local patch an increase in House Martins over the willow swamp was the only noteworthy event, while on the bay many of yesterdays waders had moved on.
Romney Marsh - 1600hrs - Whilst cutting the grass at home this afternoon I missed a couple of calls from an excited Marshman with news of four Bee-eaters - in his back garden! By the time I raced out onto the Marsh I got distant views of the flock leaving high to the north-east, just about enough for a year tick, if only I was keeping one of course. However, if I`d have heard the phone and arrived half an hour earlier the rainbow birds were hawking insects around the garden, trilling away to one another and generally showing like good `uns. One wag was heard to comment, "I`ve now seen more Bee-eaters this spring than Turtle Doves"!
NB: Another Bee-eater was heard over the reserve this morning (BP).

No comments:

Post a Comment